Monday, January 19, 2009

Rodney's Pizza Place

Along the northern border of Purcell, OK lies one of the newest pizza parlors to grace this fine state. It is there that you will find Rodney's Pizza Place. Rodney's Pizza Place was recently opened by Rodney Powers. For those of you who frequent the Purcell area for pizza you might know Rodney from Jo's Famous Pizza. Rodney had been working at Jo's for the last 36 years and could often be seen behind the counter working on an order or out mingling amongst the guest always with a smile on his face. If you've eaten at Jo's, you know Rodney.

My wife and I, a couple times a month would drive down to Jo's and thought of it as having one of the best pies around. However, a few weeks ago we left Jo's and decided to go through town to the interstate. We never do that, we usually go back south to I-35, but on this particular night we went north through town and just as we were about to hit the highway, there it was on the east side of the road, Rodney's Pizza Place. As soon as I saw it, I knew it had to be the same Rodney and we made plans to head back to Purcell the following weekend.

I'm not really sure why we went north instead of south that one time, but thank goodness we did. Rodney's Pizza is delicious. I'm not sure what has changed in his recipe but something is definitely different. It has some of the same similarities as Jo's Pizza but the taste is so much better, more fresh. Order The Works and just looking at it is intimidating. It is packed with so much more meat and veggies than most any other supreme pizza and everything taste so fresh. So far, we've tried his Works, Southwest Chicken, Pepperoni and Cheese pizzas and have yet to be disappointed. My personal favorite is the Southwest Chicken, but I think that's just because I associate chicken with eating healthy. The Southwest Chicken is made up of grilled chicken, green bell peppers, bacon (I know this blew the healthy part), onions and of course lots of cheese. Just thinking about it makes me hungry for the leftover slice in the fridge at home. Of course, Amie's favorite is the pepperoni. I will say this, order with caution when ordering at Rodney's, if you order a large pizza you are getting a LARGE pizza. There is more than enough to eat for dinner and take a few slices home for a rainy day. I briefly spoke with Rodney on our first visit and he excitingly told me about his ingredients and how he is only using the best of the best. For instance, his tomato sauce comes from Cali and from the time the tomato is picked from the vine is has a mere 24 hours before it is made into sauce, packaged and shipped to his door. I don't know much about tomato sauce, but that sounds pretty darn quick to me.

So, next time you are thinking about pizza for dinner take the short little drive to north Purcell and treat your taste buds to a mouth watering slice of Rodney's pizza. You won't be disappointed.

From OKC, head south down I-35 to Exit 95 (left hand lane). After taking the exit you'll find yourself on Green Ave, as you approach the first stop light look to your left and there will sit Rodney's Pizza Place.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in Purcell and absolutly love Rodney's pizza. We usually eat it about twice a month sometimes more if I don't want to cook. We recomend it to everyone. I also tell people to call ahead and order it cause they are usually real busy on the weekends.

OUFAN1979 said...

I have eaten at Jo's Famous Pizza in Purcell my entire life. To me, Rodney's taste like a poor copy of something that was delicious. It is almost like he tried to literally duplicate Jo's with a different sign outside. He didn't succeed. I have tried Rodney's three different times. Three strikes and you are out. Jo's remains #1 in Purcell.

Janet said...

I have eaten at Joe's Pizza my entire life as well, and I think Rodney's pizza is the best in town! The cheese, meat, and sauce are just the right combination. Rodney personally greets everyone, and the service is stellar. Eat at Rodney's and delight your taste buds. Our favorite is the Works! The place is full every weekend, and many people drive many miles just to eat at Rodney's. It is worth the trip!