Friday, February 27, 2009

Being Patient

Isn't really that easy for me. Last night Amie and I had our first trial run to Norman Regional. At about 10 PM Amie woke me up having contractions. So, I got out of bed and hurried (still not fast enough) to get the remaining items we wanted to take in my bag. We had to wake Addi up and we all loaded in the car and headed out. I was a little impressed, it only took 14 minutes from the time Amie woke me up to the time we were pulling out of the driveway. That's not too bad if you ask me. It took a total of 16 minutes from the time we left the house to the time we walked into the triage room at the hospital. I didn't think that was too shabby either. So a total of exactly 30 minutes. Her contractions were about 3 minutes apart but after an hour and a half they sent us home and told us to come back when the contractions were stronger and about five minutes apart. So, now we wait. Waiting is the hard part and after last night it will be harder on us all, especially Amie. She is so ready.

My boys are heading to Lago Vista, Texas this weekend for a little action at The Primavera. It's a huge weekend of racing in Texas. This is the first race for a lot of people and the turnout is usually pretty good. There will be road races both Saturday and Sunday and I believe both days run the same course except that the Sunday loop is shortened by 1 mile making it a four mile loop instead of five. Each race is approximately 50 miles. I wish I was able to go, but there is no way I could leave right now with us being so close to having Emily. They are gonna kick some ass I'm sure. Something I learned last season, never go to a race to train or expect anything less than your best. You/I go to win EVERY race! You can't go to a race just hoping for a top 10 or top 20 placement because then you race for a top 10 place. Will you win every race? Probably not, but you gotta shoot for that top spot every time. Expecting less than that out of yourself is selling yourself short. I don't race for 2nd, 5th, 10th, 25th place...I race for first. I don't get up and train at 3 AM hoping for 2nd place. This season Bicycle Alley Racing will be racing for 1st place every race. Expect to see us in the mix and stepping on the podium. I can't wait for my first race, to race side by side with my new teammates, to have the opportunity to work for them and get this season kicked off. Good luck Zach and Ryan, you don't need it. I'll be thinking about you guys and you better call me with race reports!

Mark has some good workouts scheduled for me this weekend. So, at least, I won't just be feeling like a slacker. I should log somewhere between 90-95 miles, in my garage on the Rock 'N Roll. I better pick out my movies for Sunday now before everyone snags them. Maybe I should pin an old race number on my jersey....

No comments: