Wednesday, February 11, 2009

8 Is Enough

I just want to know what Nadya Suleman was thinking when she decided to take fertility treatments. A mother of six children already and now she has 8 more. It's insane. Here's a quote from Nadya taken from an article I was reading.

"I'm providing myself to my children," Nadya Suleman told NBC in her first interview. "I'm loving them unconditionally, accepting them unconditionally, everything I do. I'll stop my life for them and be present with them and hold them and be with them. And how many parents do that? I'm sure there are many that do, but many don't. And that's unfortunate. And that is selfish."

I would like to call BS on that quote. First of all, I am a parent of one...soon to be two and it doesn't matter how many children you have you are providing yourself to your children. If you are any kind of parent at all, if you even have thoughts of having children, then you better be ready to love them unconditionally and accept them for who they are. Your life does not stop when you have a child, your life changes, you have no choice but to accept that and embrace it. Amie and I both work, we are fortunate enough that we both have jobs and are able to take care of our family. But that is what it takes for us to just take care of our small family of three, soon to be four. We couldn't make it on much less then we currently take home and we sure couldn't make it if we had a family of 16. Nadya here speaks down on people who don't stay home with their children and be "present with them." Well Nadya, the reason they don't is because those people accept their responsibility and work to take care of their family as opposed to sitting on their ass all day long letting me and my wife (taxpayers) pay for you to sit at home and attempt to take care of your 14 children.

The cost to raise a child is not cheap. Addi was born in 2006, according to this calculator it will cost approximately $340,552.00 to take care of her until she graduates from college (she'll get a scholarship though for being a genius or cycling). Now take that number and times it by 14. What did you get? I came up with $4,767,728.00. Yeah Nadya, you're really going to be able to offer your children a quality life. Oh yeah, and Nadya wants to go back to school to study counseling so tack that expense on.

I know this is America, land of the free & home of the brave. I know that we have the freedom of speech and expression. I know that I can have as many kids as I want, but doesn't common sense come into play here? Forget finances for a second and think of the children. Do you actually think that each child will be loved, treated and cared for the same? I don't. Like I said, I'm getting ready to be a father a second time and to me that is one of my biggest fears, that I'll show favoritism to one of my daughters. I hope that I never overlook one for the other or tell one I love her more than the other. A child isn't a toy, it shouldn't be something you bring into this world just so you can feel good about yourself.

I've gotta get back to work now so I can help pay Nadya's doctor bills.

No comments: