Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lucky

So, this morning I was an hour into my workout and I hear Addi yelling "da da potty". I jump off my bike, throw on a t-shirt, run through the house to her room and then we book it to the potty and yes, she made it. As I carried her back to her room, her head resting on my shoulder, I started thinking what a unique life I have. I stood there by here bed patting her bottom and rocking her back to sleep just thinking how lucky I am. I am a husband, a father, I work a 40 hour a week job and I am a some what competive cyclist. I mean how many people can say, they get up at 3 in the morning to train, in the middle of their training they are on potty patrol, go to work, come home and then get to spend a few hours playing with their daughter every evening before bed. This season I have been very strict about my training, treating it like a second job. Not always something I wanted to do, but something I had to do. I have not taken a weekend off the bike since maybe sometime last season, for sure not this season. There were times throughout the season where I had to stop in the middle of my workout to take care of Addi and I know I wasn't happy to do that all the time. Then this morning it just hit me, dude you are so freaking lucky. I've always felt lucky but this was different, this was like someone slapping me across the face telling me to wake up and look what I've got. I've got this beautiful little girl and she is way more important than a few minutes on my trainer. Rocking your baby to sleep is one of the best feelings in the world and this morning as she was falling asleep, I was waking up. I'm hoping to have a more laid back approach to racing/training next season. Still put the time in but not kill myself over missing some time for things that are more important. Try to shoot for quality of races, instead of quantity of races.

No comments: