Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Welcome!








My day started as usual. Up and out of bed around 3:45AM and on the trainer. This mornings workout was only an hour so it wasn't too bad. After I got off the trainer I cooked me up a bowl of oatmeal and then made my way to the bedroom to see what Amie was doing. I was a little surprised because the light was still off, so I thought she was still asleep. She wasn't but she informed me that the hospital had called around 5 and told her our induction was going to have to be rescheduled because of the number of overnight births. Both of us were bummed about that, we had spent all yesterday trying to get everything squared up and ready for some baby time. We kind of just hung out in bed wondering when they would get us rescheduled. Then about 5:30 the hospital called back and said if you want your 6:30 we've got some nurses coming in. So we scrambled to get ready and out the door we went just a little after 6 o'clock.

So, then what? What happened next?

6:30 - Check In
6:55 - We were in our room, they had all the monitors hooked up and Amie's vitals taken. Amie was already having some small contractions at that time.
7:00 - In an effort to get Amie's mind off of everything we scrolled through TV channels and found "Can't Hardly Wait." I haven't seen that movie in a long time and there really are some funny parts but I tried to keep straight faced because Amie wasn't in any mood to laugh really.
7:10 - 7:15 - They came in and got Amie hooked up to an IV to keep her hydrated.
7:25 - More drugs. They started the Pitocin drip. Pitocin helps to strengthen her contractions and YES it works.
7:31 - 7:36 - Our doctor came in and broke Amie's water. I didn't go through this but it actually sounds worse than it looked.
8:10 - Both our families started coming in around this time.
9:00 - The Anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural
9:12 - The first epidural dose was given.
10:45-11:15 - Amie went from a 5 to a 9. I'm not explaining what that means, but it was pretty quick once the party got started.
12:35 - Time to start pushing
1:55 - Welcome to the world Emily! Weighing in at 7.6lbs and 19 inches long.

She's B-E-A-Utiful! Everything went great. Amie did a wonderful job and was a trooper. Addi has already taken the great big sister role and I think she's going to be pretty protective.

Thanks to everyone who said a little prayer for us during this pregnancy. It wasn't always the smoothest but we made it. Those three words, "WE MADE IT", are huge.

No comments: