Monday, March 9, 2009

Girls, Girls, Girls

Emily is officially five days old today. It's been a fast and very busy five days. Everyday is getting a little bit easier and everyone is starting to adjust to the new changes. Addi was an angel today and was an excellent big sister. She's trying so hard and I'm really proud of her. So far, not an ounce of jealousy, she just really wants to be involved. She likes to hold and help feed her baby sister and at any given time you can pretty much find her just sitting in her Dora chair watching Emily sleep or swing. Addi is quick on the draw when it comes to diaper changing and hand washing, she's pretty much got those things down. Amie is starting to get around a little bit better today. I know she is ready to be back to normal. Until then, I'm trying to do everything I can to help her do as little as possible. I go back to work on Wednesday, so I only have one more day off and then my mom is coming over Wednesday and Thursday to help out. So, Amie's first day solo is Friday and I'm sure she's a little nervous but I know she will do great. Between now and bedtime tomorrow I hope to have the laundry totally caught up, our mobile picture studio set up and some baby pics taken and whatever else comes my way. I've saved every bike magazine over the last two months I have a subscription for and even bought the book "A Dog in a Hat" thinking I would have all this time to read...I was wrong.

Yesterday Amie & I had to take Emily back to the doctor for her checkup and everything is great. She has gained 8 ounces since she has been home.


After our doctors appointment I thought it might be fun for Addi and I to have some "Daddy & Addi" time. We went out for some delicious Rusty's Frozen Custard and then headed to 4th Street Park. We had a great time. I really enjoyed our time together. It isn't too often that I get the opportunity to take her for ice cream and the park.

So, what's going on in my bike world? Well, Saturday I got my workout in. It was 2X25's. The weather was beautiful and I was able to do this workout outside for a change. That was nice but it is so much easier to hold a high wattage on the trainer than on the road. There are so many variances on the road that you really have to drill it to keep your wattage up or else the downhills will kill you. But it was nice to be outside for a change.

For Sunday I had talked to Mark and asked him to give me a workout to punish me for not being able to race yet. I want to pay my dues even though I haven't been able to line up at the starting line. Well, he did give me such a workout and it sucked because my legs were toast. I'm not sure if it was the 2X25's from the day before, the fact that I haven't gotten much sleep lately, or just everything going right now but my legs felt like lead. I had a hard time keeping my cadence up and when I tried to push a lower gear my legs would start to fatigue real fast. Like I said, it sucked and I was pretty disappointed in myself. I did save the w/o and plan on doing it as soon as things kind of settle down.

This week we are going to attempt to get things back to normal and I'm planning on getting up bright and early in the mornings just like usual. I've worked really hard making sure I get all my workouts in and not taking much time away from my family time. That is still my intentions and I know I can do it. I totally believe that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen. I'm setting my focus on the N.W. Arkansas Classic Road Race in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to finally getting the complete B.A.R. team together (it's only been missing me), bumping elbows and seeing all my buddies again. I can't wait to be rolling in a pack and hearing everyone's wheels spinning around me.
So, as I sit here writing this I realize that not only is Wednesday the day I go back to work but it is also the end of my daily Daddy & Addi time every morning. For almost the last three years Addi and I have spent every morning together getting ready, eating breakfast and then heading out the door to work and daycare. It's been a priceless time and I wouldn't change any of it for the world. I'm going to miss that time. The hours of my work day are also changing and I'll be going in a little earlier in the mornings, hopefully I don't miss too much time with my girls.

No comments: