Saturday, March 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home

After two days in the hospital Amie, Emily and I were all finally ready to go home. When you're sitting in the hospital no place sounds as good as home. When Addi was born we only stayed one night in the hospital and we jumped in the car as soon as the doctor said everything looked good. Amie and I were both so ready to get out of there, neither of us really stopped to think what we would do once we got home. This time, with Emily we stayed two nights and used the second night to try to get caught up on a little sleep. Still, we were so ready to get home. Home is nice and there is no place like home. All of your comforts are at home. But it isn't until you get home that you realize how good you had it in the hospital. I mean, you have a nice big room, a button to push every time you want something, nurses who stop by at least every hour to make sure you are comfortable, someone to watch your baby whenever you need a minute. Don't get me wrong, I hate hospitals as much as the next guy, but it isn't until you get home that reality hits. There is no "Easy Button" when you get home. I was pretty excited to open the garage door and see my bike sitting there though. I'm pretty sure she was excited to see me also and she missed not having me home for our usual morning bonding time.


The best part about coming home was that our family finally got to all be together again. Addi had been staying the night with either Amie's folks or mine over the last few days and we really hadn't got to spend much time with her. I was excited to get to see Addi interact with Emily. Addi is like a toddler on RedBull around Emily. She is so excited to have a baby sister. It's so cute, she checks on her all the time. She's done really good and is already the best big sister in the whole world. We did have one near miss though, Addi was standing on the couch (yes, she knows better) and leaning on the bassinet looking in at Emily. Well, the bassinet is on wheels and it started sliding away from the couch and as it slid Addi started falling. She fell the short distance to the floor and bounced right back up to check on baby sister. Addi even gave Emily her kitty cat to sleep with. That's big!


Amie is doing great. I am so proud of her. It's almost like having the baby is the easy part. The hard part is everything her body went through before and after having Emily. Hopefully, each day gets a little better and as soon as she's ready I'll be treating her to a nice juicy steak and ice cold beer. Maybe a little Outback cheese fries are in the near future.


My mom is going to come by for a little bit Saturday and Sunday and help Amie with the girls while I get my rides in. I'm hoping the nice weather holds up for a couple more days. I haven't ridden outside in about a month and I'm looking forward to seeing some sunshine. I'm also hoping Addi and I can get outside with her bike. She's kind of been taking an interest in it out in the garage. So maybe, if I'm lucky, I can keep her interested in it long enough to make it to the end of the street and back. She's almost three so it's about time we get her training started. If Amie is feeling better maybe we'll be able to take a walk or something. I really need to get some yard work done sometime also. I kind of slacked on the yard last year and I think I'm gonna pay for it this year. So far, no weeds. Thanks Irish Green! Just fix up these flower beds and I'll be golden.


This weekend is the Salty Cow races up near Tulsa. Both days are great courses. I raced them a couple years back and enjoyed both of them. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, be safe. I'll be there soon. I'm ready for a little B.A.R. action!


I'm out. I'm rambling. It's after midnight and it's been a long day. Oh yeah, thanks to everyone who came by the hospital to see us, made a phone call to check on us, sent a text message, or sent flowers. We appreciate everything. Good night!

No comments: