Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cold Feet

The hardest part of this mornings workout was the long walk from the door into the garage out to where my cycling shoes were. To say the least, the garage floor was very cold. This morning I did remember to at least leave my shoes somewhat close to the heater (not the one pictured) I keep on a timer, so at least my shoes weren't freezing. Starting out with cold feet is never good and makes for a very long and cold morning.

Right now with the temps being so cold I'm using two heaters. I have an oil filled radiator space heater on a timer that kicks on one hour before I get out into the garage. It doesn't help too much but it does knock some of the chill out of the air. But that's it, it by no means warms up the garage. The second, is the one in the picture. I have no idea what kind of heater it is, only that it looks pretty old. It does a pretty good job of warming you up but I don't trust it on the timer and it has to sit like 2 feet away from my bike to feel anything.

Despite it being so cold, I still have to run a fan on low to get some air moving. Otherwise, you're covered in sweat and it's freezing cold and that's not a good thing. Enough air to keep you somewhat dry is actually a better option as crazy as it sounds.

Most mornings I'll get by with a long sleeve base layer on top, bibs and wool socks. If it's too cold I'll throw on my old school Pearl Izumi long sleeve pullover and slip on some tights. If I'm still cold, then I need to ride faster.

I'd like to invest, a small amount, in a good heater that I can leave on a timer without having to worry about it burning down the house. Maybe an electric convection heater? Any ideas?

No comments: