Thursday, January 21, 2010

Maximum Velocite

After much anticipation the moment we had been waiting for had arrived! It was finally time to build up our new Velocite Helios frames. Velocite Co is a cutting edge company headquartered out of Taiwan. DNA Racing was fortunate enough to hook up with them and now have these beautiful steeds to carry us from one race to the next. In a couple of weeks a few DNA members will also be rolling their hoops. I'm syked to check them out also.

Zach and I made arrangements to meet at Al's Bicycles of Norman right after work and start the tear down of my old bike and then dig right into the build up our new bikes. I had the frames almost a week without totally opening and unwrapping them, just waiting to share the moment, it was killing me. The wait was well worth it though. The frames looked beautiful. Smooth lines, subtle details and a very crisp paint job catch your eye right away.

Ah, the feel of freshly unwrapped carbon! Just being in a bike shop puts a smile on my face. The smell of lycra, tires & tubes, the site of all those bicycles, bars & stems hanging on the wall, it's like my shoe store...they have shoes too. What's even better is going in to build up a brand new ride. Once the boxes were opened we couldn't wait to start throwing things on the scale.


First thing to hit the scale was of course the frame. The Helios frame has a 34.9 mm integrated seat post and a BB30 bottom bracket. It also has a tapered head tube going from 1 1/8" - 1.5" and fully internal cable routing. Did I say BB30! Race Ready.

My medium frame came in at 1150 grams. That's with uncut seat mast and rear derailleur hanger. So, just slightly over 2.5 lbs.


The Bora fork, again uncut, weighed in at 390 g's. The Bora is a full carbon fork, including dropouts, in which the steerer and fork blades are the same piece of carbon. Right now, we're at 3.36 lbs for frame and fork.

Cut calories or cut the seat post? I'll go with the seat post this time. Shaving off a whopping 36 grams. Cutting this baby takes us down to 3.31 lbs.

The Velocite ISP seat clamp came in at 142 grams. Frame, fork, headset and seat post all come in at 1760 grams. Roughly 3.89 lbs.

Next up, SRAM Force BB30 cranks. I went ahead and tossed this on the scale because after all the digging I did, I only found the weight listed once. It was listed at 645 grams with bottom bracket assembly. They were about 18 grams off. I'm turning the 172.5 compacts. My cranks came in at 608g's and the bottom bracket assembly (not ceramic) came in at 55 g's. Putting them at 663 grams (1.46 lbs). I'm not sure how much weight savings ceramic bearings bring, maybe that is the extra 18 grams. None the less, if you're looking for an accurate weight of the SRAM Force crankset, look no further.

I've been around most of the time when my bikes have been built up and lent a hand here and there but I'd say this was the build I got the most out of. I was a little more hands on this time and for me it seemed a lot easier to understand why this goes here or that does that actually getting my hands dirty. Of course, we had a little help from our boys down at Al's. A special thanks to Christopher and Andrew who kept the lights on and wrenches turning well past closing time.

Ride report and final weight coming soon!

1 comment:

Bicyclesidewalk said...

Great write up.
I read this over at the Velocite blog.
I was out today on my Magnus.
I am extremely happy with my bike and I am sure you will find the Helios one amazing machine.

Today's ride -
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23317836

Nathan